Chinese chicken and corn soup
This recipe is from notquitenigella.com. So simple and so tasty!
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons cornflour mixed with 4 tablespoon cold water
- 1 small chicken breast, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 210g tin of creamed corn
- 210g tin of corn kernel, drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (or to taste)
- A few drops of sesame oil and ground white pepper to season
- Heat the chicken stock and bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer. While the stock is heating up, mix the chicken with the 1 teaspoon of cornstarch, salt and sugar and set aside.
- When the stock is simmering, mix in the cornstarch and water mixture - be sure to mix it up just before adding it in as the cornstarch settles at the bottom. Stir and then add the creamed corn, corn and then the chicken mixture in small lots (you don't want to add it as a giant clump). Stir for a minute or two - it doesn't take long for the chicken to cook.
- Add the beaten egg in a thin trickle while stirring. Season with equal proportions of salt and sugar. Drizzle with sesame oil and white pepper just before serving. Done!